Facilities Condition Assessor
Since 2000, Nelson Engineering Co. has performed facility condition assessments (FCA) for government and commercial clients. An FCA is an asset inspection and engineering analysis of the level of maintenance and history, failure trends, root cause analyses, and work requirements to be accomplished that establishes the physical and mechanical condition of an asset. Clients use the FCA as a planning tool for short and long-term facilities management budget requests.
- Perform facility assessments of buildings, structures and other real property assets across the building structural/civil/architectural, mechanical/electrical/plumbing and fire protection systems. Work is typically performed in teams of 2-4 assessors with assignments split based on personnel experience and trained disciplines.
- Conduct inventory and condition assessments of building systems consistent with the UNIFORMAT convention per ASTM E1557.
- Identify building components and document deficiencies to update the facility condition index (FCI).
- Generate system summary reports for assigned systems.
- Work on-site at client’s sites both domestic and international on trips spanning 1-3 weeks.
- Maintain strict adherence to the Nelson Engineering Co. Safety Plan applicable to each contract.
- Candidate should live within commutable distance of Oak Ridge, TN or willing to relocate at own expense.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience performing facility condition assessments or related facilities engineering/maintenance work desired.
- Technical degree or certification in architecture, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, or fire protection disciplines desired.
- Mechanical/Electrical assessors shall be capable of conducting inventory and condition assessments of building mechanical/electrical/plumbing (MEP) systems and ancillary equipment.
- Architectural/Structural assessors shall be capable of understanding and identifying building envelopes including various structural systems, exterior/interior walls and windows, roofing, flooring and related architectural finishes.
- All assessors must understand Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements and be able to identify life safety issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimum Project Manager oversight while maintaining schedule discipline.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required including technical writing.
- Interact with Project Manager and Technical Leads to ensure compliance with project scope objectives.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the job including performing facility inspections over 6+ hours a day and walking 5+ miles typically as well as ability to climb ladders and assess spaces including roofs, interstitials, basements, crawl spaces and utility tunnels.
- Ability to present a professional demeanor and outlook.
- Be available to travel 50% on average.
- Familiarity with BUILDER desired.
- Computer skills are required to populate assessment data in the client’s asset management software. Must provide own laptop computer with Microsoft Windows 10 or later and Microsoft Office 2013 or later. Experience with tablet computers, cloud computing services and Microsoft Access desired.
- U.S. Citizenship required and ability to obtain and maintain a National Agency Check with Local Agency Check (NACLC) clearance from the Department of Defense (DoD).
- Successfully pass a Department of Motor Vehicles background check by designated company automobile insurance carrier.
- Valid state driver license
- Active U.S. Passport
Nelson Engineering Co. is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer, dedicated to Workforce Diversity. EOE/M/F/IWD/V – Minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. Nelson Engineering participates in E-Verify.
To submit an application and resume